I have never posted anything academic here (well this is my sweet escape)
but this time I'd figure it would be appropriate if I do, since I blogged about the visit to the war museum
well. here's my reflection for the task. This is 10% of my coursework assignment, which accounts for I guess 60% of my pointer for this course. (I guess.)
Reflection for Penang War Museum trip.
My grandfather was a soldier. I grew up wanting to be one, too, but my mother didn’t like my idea very much so she made me enrol in a teachers’ training institute instead. But I always have this idea in me of joining the army, fighting for my country and preferably working in a jungle or perhaps piloting a jet plane. My father, who hails from Negeri Sembilan, once said that we were descendants of those who fought alongside Dol Said, the Naning warrior, against the British. I wanted to fight. Well, I was named Syuhada, literary means martyr.
The trip to Penang War Museum was something I looked forward to. Unfortunately, it was planned to be held in the month of Ramadhan. Sounds pretty difficult, really. Furthermore, it was on a Sunday. To be honest, as much as I love army I rejected the idea. An idea of a trip on a fasting month, a Sunday, too, was pretty dreadful to me. But due to the patriotism in me (and the fact that we didn’t have any option), all of the TESL Cohort 3 (including myself) went to the Penang War Museum in Batu Maung on Sunday, 22nd.
In fact, what is a visit to a war museum compared to those who fought for our independence, maybe when they were fasting, too?
When I first stepped foot at the museum, I felt amazed. I felt rather proud and grateful that I have the chance and opportunity to visit this site, once, a long time ago, a place where people fought for their lives, for their (and our) independence. I felt like crying, honestly, though I didn’t. That would be pretty embarrassing. I feel touched, too. Seeing the fortress gave a sense of awareness in me. It made me realised how difficult it was to achieve independent, and yet some of us (including myself, I admit) do not truly appreciate it. Some of us are still colonised in our thinking.
Here, we can see the significant of historical building. It helps in giving awareness. It helps people think. Penang War Museum raised my awareness on the hardship people went through in achieving independent. It works as a greater tool in inculcating the values of patriotism in people, rather than listening to some boring lectures or reading a tedious book. Seeing it before your eyes gives a feeling unspeakable of.
Hence, it is important that all of us work hand in hand in order to preserve the historical sites in our country. It is also vital for us to expose these historical sites to our younger generations, like what my lecturers did. This is one of the things that I have learnt and can be applied in the near future when I become a teacher.
I also found out that the military system during that period of time (British Invasion) was very awesome and highly sophisticated. They used advance technology for military. They even used the Hydraulic Drive System. Imagine just how cool and refined their technology was. Needless to say, I was amazed. However, a while later I felt really bad. To my chagrin, I discovered that the people of Malaya had to pay for war. They had to pay for the weapons, for the bombs, for the army, for the Red Cross and etc. It was pretty disturbing to me as I feel that the people had to pay to something that is so destructive: for a war. A war that destroy them.
War is very expensive. But cost or money isn’t the only thing I am concerned of. It was the side effects that wars brought about to the people. It affected the people socially, economically, psychologically as well as some other aspects. Wars are, most often than not, caused by conflicts, which is when different parties have different goals. Here, in the visit, I managed to catch some glimpse of effects of conflicts, in terms of war. One of it is it being very expensive and sacrificed lots of lives.
When visiting the museum I felt a little remorse and guilt in me. I felt horrible at the thought of myself. I always complained that life is difficult, but the visit made me count my blessing. I was born in an era where everything’s too little too easy for everyone. There hardly any hardship for us. There’s no bomb dropping from the sky, there’s no cruel Japanese soldiers decapitating a loved one before my very own eyes. There’s no British army making us pay a pound per annum for war.
Yet here I am not studying, spending my time socialising on networking sites, hanging out in malls and frolicking with friends.
I felt like I am not appreciating enough what I have today and I felt disgusted of myself for it. Our older generations have sacrificed their lives for us, for you and I, and this is what they get. Sometimes it occurs to me the fight wasn’t even worth fighting off since this is what they get. People like me who didn’t even work hard enough.
On my way back to the institute, I looked out of the window, deep in thoughts. The trip has been a constructive one. It changes my perspective, made me think critically and appreciate more of what I have today. Honestly I enjoyed the trip and looked forward for such trips in the future.
Says who learning is only restricted in classrooms? The trip may not be inclusive in our P&P, but it taught us more than any lessons ever did. Kudos to my lecturers.
(i choose to be a conscientious objector)
(i choose to be a conscientious objector)
No comments:
Post a Comment